Things To Do

McNamee Anzac Memorial Park-Bonalbo

back to listingMcNamee Anzac Memorial Park-Bonalbo

Situated on Korellah St, Bonalbo, next to the district Hall, this is a lovely little park to stop and take a break in. Toilets are located nearby, and there is a café open someday’s in the Community Hall next door.
Patrick McNamee ANZAC Memorial Park was established on land donated by Mr Patrick McNamee and dedicated in memory of those who served in World War One. The Memorial Park was officially opened in 1938.
Bonalbo Memorial Park was in festive garb for the official opening. Flags floated from the flagpole and bunting hung at all angles from the cross bars. Gaily decked stalls graced the lawn. Uniformed members of the Bonalbo Red Cross and the Old Bonalbo junior branch and the local troop of the 15th Light Horse Regiment formed a guard of honour from the memorial gates to a platform at the side of the hall. The president of the Bonalbo branch of the Returned Soldiers’ League (Mr. W. R. Cooke) presided. In a historical survey he explained the happenings leading up to the opening ceremony of the Memorial Park. After the war a Memorial Hall was built on land donated by the late Mr. Patrick McNamee. Years later this hall was destroyed by fire and a hall costing some £2500, and in keeping with the progress of the district, was erected on an adjoining block acquired for the purpose. This left vacant the original land, which detracted from the appearance of the hall.
Some months ago the returned soldiers decided to transform the land into something that would add to the dignity of the hall and the beauty of the town. With the aid of the hall committee and residents the transformation was effected and the opening ceremony made possible.
COPIED FROM Northern Star (Lismore, NSW), 14 November 1938.

detailed information

Location Korellah St, Bonalbo
Contact